Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Re-Examining "Baptism in the Name of Jesus"

I was baptized "in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins" on February 3, 1991. That is truly a day that I will never forget!! Since that time baptism in the name of Jesus has been a very important subject for me to study and teach. Over the last twenty (20) years, I have written several tracts, studies, etc. on the subject of baptism in the name of Jesus. In fact, in the past year I have taken the labor of my study and compiled it into a book entitled Calling on the Name of Jesus.

My book, Calling on the Name of Jesus, deals specifically with the teaching of orally invoking the Name of Jesus during baptism. It has been understood for over 1900 years, by both Trinitarians and Oneness believers, that the phrase "baptized in the name of" refers to an oral invocation of the Name over the person baptized.

It was not until the 1950s with preacher name G. K. Wallace from the church of Christ denomination that anyone taught a "no-formula" doctrine for baptism. I have debated ministers from the church of Christ denomination several times on the issue of "baptism in the name of Jesus." At my first debate on this subject, I actually converted a young Trinitarian girl who was baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins as a result of my debate! Today, she is married to an Apostolic Oneness pastor.

In 2008, I debated a local church of Christ minister named Bruce Reeves, from the Hwy 65 church of Christ in Conway, Arkansas. After the first night of our debate on the baptismal formula, I had no less than eight (8) church of Christ ministers approach me and tell me that they fully understood our position on the subject of the baptismal formula, and did not agree with their own church of Christ brother. One of those minister's first name was Adonis, who actually performed the opening prayer for the last night of the debates.

Mr. Reeves, my church of Christ opponent, was joined at his table by Don McClain, the minister for the West 65th Street church of Christ in Little Rock, Arkansas. Mr. McClain is very talented in producing Powerpoint charts for his Bible lessons, and public debates. Typically, Mr. McClain makes these Powerpoint presentations available on their church's website http://www.w65stchurchofchrist.org/.

What is interesting is that in 2008, just after my debates with Bruce Reeves on the subjects of the Godhead and the Baptismal Formula; Don McClain felt it necessary to teach lessons to his congregation on "The Incarnation" and "The Great Commission," in which he used the same charts that were used during our debates. Apparently, Mr. McClain felt the need to do a little "patching up" after the debate.

In 2011, Roger Perkins also debated Bruce Reeves on the subjects of the Godhead and the Baptismal Formula in Lufkin, Texas. Mp3s of the debate are available from the W. 65th church of Christ website. Again, Don McClain served as "chart man" for Mr. Reeves during the debate. What is very interesting, is that Don McClain, just after the Perkins-Reeves debate, felt it necessary again to teach lessons to his congregation on "Understaning God" and "Baptism in the Name of Jesus," again using the same charts used during the debates. Apparently, Mr. McClain felt the need again to do some more "patching up" after the debate. Not sure how much more "patching up" Mr. McClain thinks his boat can take, and I'm not even going to begin to get into the childish letter Jeff Asher (Mr. Reeves' moderator) sent to Bro. Roger Perkins after the debate.

Since, Mr. McClain has felt it necessary to do a follow-up to the debates through these two lessons, I have decided to examine his lessons, and post my responses here (including visual aids). Keep checking into The Weatherly Report over the next week for my responses to Mr. McClain's lessons and charts.

By the way, I have challenged Mr. McClain to a couple of debates on the issues of Instrumental Music in the Church and the duration of the miraculous Gifts of the Spirit. Mr. McClain informed me that he would check with the elders of his local assembly to see if we could schedule a debate for next year. Already there are people on both sides of the issues interested in hearing these debates. To date, I haven't heard any other response from Mr. McClain.

As a "gospel preacher" Mr. McClain is obligated to give an answer to those who challenge his teaching.

1Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

I am hoping that we can come to an agreement to schedule debates on these important subjects.

Again, stay tuned to The Weatherly Report over the next week for my responses to Mr. McClain's teaching on the Godhead and the Baptismal Formula.

Jason L. Weatherly

 

1 comment: